Monday, February 28, 2011

First book read of 2011


Technically I started this book in December of 2010 so it's a carry over from last year. Ah well. I am obsessed with India right now so I really loved this book. It is definitely an epic family saga at around 1,400 pages. The story is set in post partition India and revolves around Lata Mehra. It tells the story about the search for a husband for Lata. She is a young girl studying at university and becomes romantically involved with a man who her family does not approve of because he is Muslim and they are Hindu. Because of this her mother decides it is time to find Lata a husband. Wrapped around this main story line are stories from her extended family, friends of her family, and the story of India struggling to emerge. There were some references to Hindu and Muslim Gods and festivals that went over my head. There was a fun description of Holi which I am dying to experience in India. My favorite character in the book was Latas best friend Malati. She is described as a very beautiful, tall, and strong young woman. I loved her as a character because of her strength, smarts, and refusal to conform to the typical silly girls around her.

I highly recommend this book.


1 comment:

Meg said...

I am always looking for new books to read and this sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing!