Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Boundaries

I am a permeable membrane. If I love you, you can have everything. You can have my time, my devotion, my money, my family, my dog, my dog’s money, my dog’s time –everything. If I love you, I will protect you from your own insecurity. I will project upon you all sorts of good qualities that you never actually cultivated in yourself. I will give you the sun and the moon and if they are not available I will give you a sun check and a rain check. I will give you all this and more until I am so exhausted and depleted that the only way can recover my energy is by becoming infatuated with someone else. –Eat, Pray, Love

I am a bit of a contradiction in that I have huge walls up for people I don't know well (which doesn't serve me well when I try to make new friends) and I am a permeable membrane when it comes to people who are important to me. Setting boundaries is something I am no good at when it comes to the people I love. I think that has been the downfall of my past relationships and it is something I need to work on. I tend to be a really giving person. I hate seeing people I love upset or hurt so I try everything in my power to take care of them. I don't want to cross over to the other extreme of not caring because I like that I care so much. I like helping people.

So, how do you set boundaries when all you want to do is give?

No comments: