Sunday, December 5, 2010

Better off as friends

I am very lucky to have parents who remain on good terms after they divorced. My mom was able to put aside her anger and grief over the reasons for the divorce and stay civil towards my dad. For that she is my hero. We have celebrated every holiday and birthday together as a family. There was never any consideration of split holidays.

Today driving back from visiting my sister for her birthday I realized how rare my situation is. My dad still is the one who drives whenever we go anywhere as a family even though we always take my mom's car. The simple fact that we still do things as a family is unusual. I remember that we took a trip to Washington DC together two months after my parents announced their divorce.

My parents are better off as friends. I'm glad they were married because, that is how I came to exist. One thing I know for sure is that they will always take care of each other. Maybe they will end up being two crazy old people living next door to each other at the nursing home.

2 comments:

Melodie Peachey said...

You situation rocks. I think my parents are getting to be in that place too, after many years and distance. They talk on the phone now and hung out a lot around my wedding. They live in different countries, but they're friends. Does that count? lol

Anna said...

Yes it does count :)

Yay for parents being grown ups.