Thursday, September 23, 2010

My last Thursday

I am overwhelmed with emotion today. I've been working as a childcare provider at a domestic violence outreach center for a year and a half. I watch children ages birth-12. Watching the children doesn't really describe what I do. I talk to them, get to know them, help them with homework, play with them, listen to their boy troubles, listen to their family troubles. I feel like they are all my little brothers and sisters. I enjoy them so much. Today was my last day there. I am so sad. They had a party for me. The parents gave me a card they had written expressing their appreciation for what I do. I will treasure that card forever.

When the kids left they all gave me hugs and told me they would miss me. Then we had a giant bear hug. They are all such amazing and resilient children. I know what they have been through and to see they still have so much love for people is amazing. Everyone keeps saying how much I've done for them but the truth is they've done so much more for me. They've taught me how to be patient when I'm exhausted. I am going to miss them so much. I can't imagine not seeing their faces every week. I hope they know how amazing they are and how much I love them.


1 comment:

Jamie Lovely said...

Aw. They do know. And you're amazing for being so wonderful to those children, for being there when they needed someone.