Friday, June 6, 2008

Some people really like crack. I really like books.

I read alot and really quickly. So far in June I have read...

Quakeland by Francesca Lia Block. Its not my favorite by her. I liked it but I didn't like it. Probably because the main character was stupid when it came to her boyfriend. I have very little patience for women who stay with assholes.

Bright Lights Big Ass, Bitter is the new Black and Such a Pretty Fat all by Jen Lancaster. These books are HILARIOUS. The first one is the best because she is a high powered bitch of an executive and loses it all in the post 9/11 dot.com crash. She gets a huge reality check and learns something...kinda. I finished all three of the books in about 2 days each. They are very entertaining, quick reads.

Blood Roses by Francesca Lia Block: Still not my favorite book by her. Her recent stuff hasn't lived up to her older works. These stories were good but only seemed to skim the surface. They were all pretty short and ended abruptly. Some people like the fill in the end of the story books but I don't.

The Foretelling by Alice Hoffman. She is one of my favorite authors. This book is for young adult readers. I didn't realize that when I bought it. It was fabulous. Its about a girl named Rain who is the daughter of a Queen. Their people are based on the Amazon women. The women around her are all strong, independent, fierce woman who exist without men in their day to day lives. They are constantly fighting off men who invade their land. Rain beings to wonder about other things such as empathy towards their "enemies" and wonders what a world outside of her own would be like.

No comments: